Friday, April 7, 2017

How Ajahn Cagino started Dhammagiri.

“I walked for 16 years around this country. Sometimes alone and sometimes accompanied by others. We don’t travel the way you do because we are supposed to wear only 3 layers of clothes and possess very few things. We don’t care how far we walk, the most important thing is to be aware of yourself. Most of the time we meditate. If you want your body to be healthy, then you exercise but if you want a healthy heart, you should meditate. Just let your heart relax. There should be no attachments whatsoever. Many people help us on our way by giving us shelter or food but even I have accepted food on my journey, it’s important to have no attachments.”
“Once I met an orphan in a monastery. He was searching for some food there. He didn’t want to go to the orphanage, so I decided to help him and find a sponsor in order we could pay for his school. My sister decided to help me. When the headmaster of the school discovered that I helped the orphan he immediately asked me if I would like to take in another orphan. Sometimes the people of the hill-tribes just leave their children in the school and leave. I called my sister again and asked if she would like to sponsor another child. Well, my sister just said yes and then came another 6 children. After all, together with some other monks, we ended up having to sponsor 16 children altogether. Since one house wasn't enough we have rented three wooden houses because we had to separate the girls from the boys. To have them visit a school, we needed to get more sponsors. The money was needed for scholarships, books, food, clothes and also for adopting. The expenses were beyond our means. Since I am a monk but I also took a bunch of photos (with my Phone) on my travels around the forests of Thailand we organized three exhibitions in four different countries with the help of my friends. The exhibitions were successful and we had the chance to show people what we do. We ended up having enough sponsors, but this time instead of renting we decided to buy a land and build a whole orphanage for them. The design has been completed with the help of close friends and volunteers. The children also enjoyed participating in the creation of their new home, during their school holidays and over the weekends.”
How many orphans are there now?
"60"

No comments:

Post a Comment