Sunday, June 8, 2014

Goenka on Aging



"To a question about aging, Goenkaji answered that although old age is certainly a misery, old age by itself cannot make one unhappy. If people can couple the wealth of their life experience with wisdom, old age can be the golden years of their life—a period where they can look at things with serenity and deep understanding. Such a happy old age is also a great source of joy for others.

“'I am aging happily,' announced Goenkaji. 'There is decay, every moment; birth and death, every moment. But I remember how miserable I was when I was 30. Now almost 50 years later I find myself a lot happier and healthier. Old age suits me well. I have more wisdom and I have so much happiness. I travel around the world to distribute happiness. I am meeting old students who are serious practitioners of Vipassana and I also meet people who have never heard the word Vipassana.'

"He added, 'The more happiness I distribute, the happier I get!'"

~ The Caravan of Dhamma.

No comments:

Post a Comment