Thursday, December 15, 2016

Harmony and Spiritual Friendship

One of my favourite passages in the Majjhima Nikaya on harmony and spiritual friendship, is found at MN 128 and 31, where, in response to being questioned by the Buddha about harmony with his companions, the Venerable Anuruddha explains:
"Surely venerable sir, we are living in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes."
The Buddha: "But, Anuruddha, how do you live thus?"
"Venerable sir, as to that, I think thus: 'It is a gain for me, it is a great gain for me, that I am living with such companions in the holy life.' I maintain bodily (verbal and mental) acts of loving kindness towards them both openly and privately. I consider: 'Why should I not set aside what I wish to do and do what these venerable ones wish to do?' We are different in body, venerable sir, but one in mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment