Monday, July 4, 2016

US Photographer Josh Bulriss on Searching for Lost Buddhas Across Asia

US Photographer Josh Bulriss on Searching for Lost Buddhas Across Asia
A Buddha of the Gal Vihara rock temple in Polonnaruwa, Sri Lanka.
(Courtesy Josh Bulriss)

Photographer Josh Bulriss, from upstate New York, is on a mission. Torrential rain is flooding the ancient city of Polonnaruwa in Sri Lanka. But he has learned that persistence pays off, and upon reaching the 12th Century rock temple of Gal Vihara, soaked to the skin, he is in his element, capturing images of Buddha that have been carved in granite by Sinhalese sculptures some 800 years ago.
Bulriss is traveling all across Asia in search of Buddhas, many of them lost or unknown to most visitors. “There was a cave in Vang Vieng, Laos, that I was planning to photograph,” he says. “Until I arrived and realized it was not there. It had been pushed over a cliff inside the cave, you could only see it now from far above, led between rocks.”
Fascinated by Buddhism from his first trip to Asia four years ago, Bulriss has built a strong fanbase for his art works and prints online, especially on social media Instagramwhere he has built a following of over 33,000 people who find inspiration from his work, and Buddhist sayings he shares with them.
“About 15 years ago I began travelling with a trip to Hawaii, and when I returned home I shared my photos with family and friends. They all said the same thing ‘these look like postcards’ and I realized I had a natural eye for composition,” he says. “In a desire for further feedback I wrote to a couple of professional photographers and shared my work. The reaction was the same,” he adds.
Having started shooting things that brought him peace, he spent an extensive amount of time in Asia, evolving his work in to a focus on Buddhism, mixing his paintings with original shots in obscure locations. “I want people to own something original and unique,” he says.
Now he’s back on the road for “The Buddha Project,” aiming to be the first photographer to capture a variety of Buddhas from across Asia. The collection will be produced in his first fine-art book. Artinfo caught up with Burliss to discover some of the stories behind the famous shots.
When did you first become inspired to focus your photography on Buddhism? 
I felt that my work slowly evolved in that direction from the amount of time I have spent in Asia (two and a half years all together) submerged in Buddhist culture and just my real interest in learning more about Buddhism. It was a slow progression, not something that just happened over night.
How did the Buddha Project come about?
I always wanted to create a fine art style book of Buddhist images from my journeys along side beautiful quotes that were inspiring. But I didn’t have enough images I felt to make that happen. My real push was after my mother passed away. I decided to begin a new “Buddha Project” to finish what I felt I already started. She always pushed me to do what I love and follow my dream and it had been four years since I was in Asia.
What’s your favorite image so far and why?
I would have to go with “Buddha Hand” a photo I took in Bali, Indonesia. The contrast, texture, and color really make this a unique photo. And the story is quite interesting as well. I shot it in Ubud, and I love to travel light, so I only had one lens on me at the time and that lens was having some major issues.
Every time I would take one photo, my camera would turn off. It was a problem with the connection from the lens to the camera. So I would have to hold the lens partially attached to the camera and turn it a certain way for my camera to work for just long enough to take one shot. I learned a very important lesson that day to always have at least a small back up lens while traveling. But luckily I pulled off one of my favorite shots during that time period. And one of my most popular images. 
On your latest trip, what was your most unexpected or inspiring experience?
When I arrived in Phonsavan, Laos, there was a Buddha cave that I was eager to photograph. A farmer found this cave 11 years ago while farming his land. He saw some bats flying out of a hole, and was just curious where they were coming from. When he looked inside he saw over 200 ancient Buddha statues standing in the cave. He wasn't sure if he should tell anyone, or sell them himself. He decided to tell people and make it a place of worship.
I couldn’t find too much about the cave or find many photos. I traveled over seven hours by bus to get there, then at the entrance was a sign “no photography.” My heart sank... I went inside and just sat in awe. The farmer told me I could photograph the cave, but no Buddhas. So I left discouraged. Then I saw a boat about to go into the cave and three monks walking up. So I backed off and let the monks go ahead to sit on the front of the boat. It turned out to be one of my favorite pictures from the entire trip and showed me that you have to be able to adjust and be ready for change, and never give up. 
Do you have a favorite Buddha?
I would have to go with the half-buried Buddha at Inle Lake, Myanmar. It’s just amazing to see this beautiful Buddha Half buried under rubble, sticking out so beautifully. The best part is the journey by boat to get there.
What are you hopes for the book?
I hope the book will inspire people to follow their dreams and continue working on the things they love most. I have always dreamed of having enough photos to finish a book and now I do. I think that the quotes and photos can help people on their day-to-day journey when they need something uplifting. 
Click “Slideshow” to see images from “The Buddha Project.”

No comments:

Post a Comment