Saturday, May 2, 2015

Ganakamoggallana Sutta (MN 107)




What do you think about this, brahman? Are you skilled in the way leading
to Rajagaha?"

"Yes, sir, skilled am I in the way leading to Rajagaha."
"What do you think about this? A man might come along here wanting to 
go to Rajagaha. Having approached you, he might speak thus: 'I want to 
go to Rajagaha, sir; show me the way to this Rajagaha.' You might speak 
thus to him: "Yes, my good man, this road goes to Rajagaha; go along it 
for a while. When you have gone along it for a while you will see a village; 
go along for a while; when you have gone along for a while you will see 
a market town; go for a while. When you have gone along for a while you 
will see Rajagaha with its delightful parks, delightful forests, delightful 
fields, delightful ponds. 

But although he has been exhorted and instructed thus by you, he might 

take the wrong road and go westwards. Then a second man might come

along wanting to go to Rajagaha...(as above)... you will see Rajagaha with

its delightful... ponds.' Exhorted and instructed thus by you he might get to

Rajagaha safely. What is the cause, brahman, what the reason that, since

Rajagaha does exist, since the way leading to Rajagaha exists, since you

exist as adviser, the one man, although being exhorted and instructed thus 

by you, may take the wrong road and go westwards while the other may get

to Rajagaha safely?"

"What can I, good Gotama, do in this matter? A shower of the way,
good Gotama, am I."

"Even so, brahman, nibbana does exist, the way leading to nibbana 
exists and I exist as adviser. But some of my disciples, on being 
exhorted and instructed thus by me attain the unchanging goal — 
nibbana, some do not attain it. What can I, brahman, do in this 
matter? A shower of the way, brahman, is a Tathagata."


No comments:

Post a Comment