Friday, February 6, 2015

Q&A - Goenkaji



Question: My body has become quite frail. You said to follow the advice of the doctor, so I had three surgeries for my cancer. Now I do not want to undergo another surgical procedure. This disease is not going to leave me. What should I do?

Goenkaji: I say get freed from the diseases of the mind. Then you will see that no matter what the situation is, you are always in a positive state of mind. There is a pain somewhere in the body, but your mind is free from pain, and you shall not let the mind get agitated. Then you have understood the Dhamma! Because of the accumulated kammas of this life or of a past life, some kind of disease has manifested in the body, but now if you are established in Dhamma, then there is no agitation. And oh how intense the pain as one approaches closer to death! Only those who are dying understand their own pain, no one else can. But even with so much pain, many meditators pass away with a smile on their face and without any sedative drugs or painkillers as they are developed in the Dhamma. Oh how can cancer affect such persons? If an illness comes then we will try and treat it, but if the doctor says this is beyond any treatment, then we have our own remedy. We shall not allow our minds to get agitated; we shall not lose our equanimity

No comments:

Post a Comment