Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Visakha's Profound Wisdom (Vinaya 1:290-294)



Visākhā was granted, eight boons by the Buddha: that as long as she lived, she be allowed to give robes to the members of the Order for the rainy season; food for monks coming into Sāvatthi; food for those going out; food for the sick; food for those who wait on the sick; medicine for the sick; a constant supply of rice gruel for any needing it; and bathing robes for the nuns. 

The Buddha asked her what benefits she expected for herself as a result of her generosity. Her answer shows how profoundly she had understood the relationship between acts of virtue and inner mental training. She replied:


When I remember it, I shall be glad.
When I am glad, I shall be happy.
When my mind is happy, my body will be tranquil.
When my body is tranquil, I shall feel pleasure.
When I feel pleasure, my mind will become concentrated.
That will bring the development of the spiritual powers and the enlightenment factors. This, Lord, is the benefit I foresee for myself in asking the eight boons of the Perfect One."

"Good, good, Visakha!" the Enlightened One replied. "It is good that you have asked the Perfect One for the eight boons foreseeing these benefits. I grant you the eight boons."

No comments:

Post a Comment