Saturday, May 17, 2014

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's comments on Buddhism.

Q & A On Buddhism by Daw Aung San Su Kyi  

( 0pen link 02:17)

Q : It's very encouraging remark that you asked the democratic pursuers to keep up their faith. I am wondering whether you,as a Buddhist - whether your faith has any part to play in upholding your noble ideals?
A : Yes, Buddhism has helped me a great deal. I was born a Buddhist but I don't think we are born good with this. I think we have to work at it and I have come to respect Buddhist philosophy really deeply during these years of house arrest and retention.When I have had time to meditate and to learn to know myself. Buddhism like any other really good educational process is all about learning to know yourself, what you are as a human being and what you are capable of as a human being, and that helps a great deal.
Q : What part do you think that Buddhist Sangha could play in the democratic movement of Burma? Thank you.
A : The Buddhist Sangha of course has already played a very important part in all political movements in our country.When we are fighting for our independence as well, the Sangha played a very important part and in our fight for democracy, again, other Sangha have stood very strongly by the people and this will continue because Burma is a country where the great majority of the people are Buddhists and we have great respect for our Sangha. And our Sangha understand that unless the people are treated with virtue and wisdom the country can be neither wise nor virtuous.

No comments:

Post a Comment