Monday, May 25, 2015

My first visit to DDM Taiwan


My recent visit to Dharma Drum Mountain (DDM) Center for Buddhist 
Education in New Taipei City, Taiwan is primarily to receive bodhisattva precepts, not another meditation retreat as thought by some friends.

There is a saying in Mahayana Buddhism: "Those who have precepts to 
break are bodhisattvas; those who have no precepts to break are outer-
path followers."

The above statement makes me not to have the sense of guilt if I break 
any precept. It does not mean that I should readily break any precept 
but rather if ever I have broken any precept, the right attitude should be 
to admit the mistake, repent, vow not to repeat it and move on. If I can 
keep all the precepts without breaking any, it means I am already a saint. 
If I were a saint, I do not need precepts any more.
I am aware that friends of other faiths do have their precepts to follow. 
It should also be noted that non-religious atheists do believe in morality. 
'Have no precept to break' here should refer to people, Buddhists or not, 
who act as they like without any restraint or any morality. In this sense, precepts can be regarded as guidelines for one's proper behaviour.

"The point of taking the bodhisattva precepts is not to make practitioners 
feel guilty or anxious, but rather to plant the seed of compassion and 
wisdom in their minds", says Master Sheng Yen in The Bodhisattva 
Precepts - Directions to Buddhahood.

The transmission of bodhisattva precepts at DDM has been getting 
popular over the years. When the 20th transmission (第20届在家菩萨戒) 
for lay people was opened for registration on the first day this year, 
thinking it was still quite early, I went to register with DDM Malaysia that morning. However, I managed only to get registered in the second of two batches for this year. There were more than 600 places in each batch
The full registration was achieved in the afternoon that day.

The popularity of transmission of bodhisattva precepts at DDM becomes 
obvious when you take part in it. The transmission ceremony was held in 
four days, starting in the afternoon of first day and ending in the afternoon 
of fourth day. In addition to rites and rituals, there were as many as 10 
Dharma talks via video by Master Sheng Yen. The formal transmission ceremony was conducted in the morning of last day. There was clear 
emphasis on educating the participants in the process of transmission so 
that they understand properly the meaning of taking bodhisattva precepts.

Once it was conducted at a New York monastery in December 1991. After explanation by Master Sheng Yen, the people who willingly took part in the transmission of bodhisattva precepts far exceeded those had already registered.

Before leaving for DDM Taiwan, I have read Master Sheng Yen's book in 
Chinese - 菩萨戒指要 - delving on the subject of bodhisattva precepts. In 
the book and video as well, Master Sheng Yen states clearly that he has 
not reinvented the wheel nor dare he change the content of bodhisattva precepts. He has merely studied the various systems of bodhisattva 
preceptsin both the Chinese and Tibetan traditions, and adapted them to 
suit the needs of modern people.

In his explanation, Master Sheng Yen talks about the flexibility of taking bodhisattva precepts according to different situations and different people. 
At any rate, people are encouraged to take the precepts as a whole when 
their fear of breaking precepts is overcome. Importantly, he dismisses the notion that taking bodhisattva precepts can protect one from the karmic consequences of one's action and emphasises precepts as guidelines for wholesome behaviour for Buddhists.

During the four days of taking bodhisattva precepts, I got up at 4 am and 
slept at 10 pm. I lost count of many prostrations I performed. I was tired 
and felt bodily sore. When I slept, I was not disturbed by snoring. Perhaps, I snored and was one of troublemakers, I did not know.

It is noteworthy that "the essential purpose of the transmission of 
bodhisattva precepts is to arouse in people's minds an altruistic spirit 
of service to others and a firm dedication to the pursuit of enlightenment". 
(The Bodhisattva Precepts - Directions to Buddhahood)  It is not wrong to assume that the place to practise 'service to others' is the human society. Indeed, the aspiration of DDM is to build a pure land on earth.

Upon completion of formal transmission ceremony, I was awarded the Certificate of Bodhisattva Precepts. The following are stated in the certificate:

* Four indestructible faiths
* Three cumulative pure precepts
* Ten virtuous precepts
* Four great vows
* Ten inexhaustible precepts

I went one week before my turn of taking bodhisattva precepts and became 
a volunteer at DDM. I carried out any duty that I was assigned to me. I was able to witness the preparation activities for the first batch of recipients of bodhisattva precepts.

There were a lot of volunteers. The majority were Taiwanese and some 
came from Singapore, Hong Kong, China and elsewhere who might have 
missed the opportunity of taking the precepts this year but still wanted to 
come and be a volunteer. Because of a large number of volunteers, we 
often finished the chores quite fast. I stayed back as a volunteer for another week after receiving the precepts. By then, the volunteers were less as the whole event of transmission for two batches was over.

Altogether I stayed three weeks at DDM. Usually, I got up at 5 am and performed the 8-form exercises (八式动禅) for half an hour and more. 
Then I walked uphill for about 10 minutes from the dormitory to the 
grand hall where the morning chanting was conducted at 6 am. After 
chanting, breakfast was served at 7 am. After breakfast, I strolled 
around the mountain and reported for work at 8.30 am. Lunch was 
served at 12 noon. After a rest, work resumed at 1.30 pm. Dinner was 
served at 5 pm. The evening chanting took place at 8 pm. After chanting, 
I was normally quite tired and had a good night sleep. On Wednesdays, 
I joined the group meditation sitting from 6.30 to 8.30 pm. When I left, 
there were only three persons in the male dormitory.

I was cut off from the internet access and I tried to live in the present and 
stay focused. I enjoyed life in the mountain and indulged myself in the unpolluted fresh air, water, food and peaceful atmosphere at DDM. Though 
I was a bit tired, there was joy inside me.

The last few days of my stay in Taiwan, I put up at one monastery in 
Bei Tou, Taipei. It was situated at the foot of a mountain. A day before I returned to Malaysia, I walked along a mountainous trail in the afternoon. 
As I strayed into a private property, I could hear dogs barking from afar. 
Soon two dogs were charging at me with one coming right in front of me. 
I shouted once at it and uttered softly twice 'A Mi Tuo Fo'. It retreated and 
me too. I walked away from the place and moved on. In this encounter, I 
was fully aware and very calm. The effect of this DDM trip on my body and mind, perhaps, might well be summed up in this encounter.

I am only an infant bodhisattva after taking the precepts. Expect me to fall down and rise up over and over again. 

Ang Hiok Gai
24 April 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment